Joshua Silverman focuses his legal practice on family law and criminal defense, with a personalized and aggressive approach to representing his clients. He offers representation throughout North Central Florida.
Mr. Silverman began his legal career as a prosecutor with the State Attorney’s Office in Gainesville, Florida, where he specialized in the prosecution of domestic violence, child abuse, and sexually-based offenses. As a criminal defense attorney, Mr. Silverman provides representation for all criminal offenses, no matter how serious or complex. Mr. Silverman has extensive jury trial experience, having successfully tried a wide variety cases from simple misdemeanors, to Driving Under the Influence (DUI), to homicide.
Upon entering private practice, Mr. Silverman turned again to working with children and families, choosing to focus a large part of his practice on family law. He understands that individuals and families seeking help from the legal system need an attorney who can provide aggressive yet caring representation, with an understanding of the difficult challenges presented in family law litigation. Mr. Silverman offers a full range of family law services.
Mr. Silverman is a lifelong resident of Florida, and resides in Gainesville with his family.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense (All Felonies and Misdemeanors)
- Child Custody/Visitation (Parenting Plans)
- Modification of Custody/Visitation
- Child Support (Establishment and Modification)
- Domestic, Repeat, and Dating Violence Injunctions
- Parental Relocation
- Enforcement of Divorce/Child Custody/Support Orders
- Pre- and Post-Nuptial Agreements
- Florida, 2001
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- J.D. - May, 2001
- Honors: Book Award (Highest Grade) - Professional Responsibility and Ethics
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.A. - May, 1997
- Major: Economics
- Lectured, Law Enforcement Officers and Corrections Personnel
- Faculty Lecturer, Gerald Bennett Prosecutor/Public Defender Trial Training Program
- Coach, University of Florida College of Law Trial Team (2007 - National Champions, 2008)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Eighth Judicial Circuit Chapter, Executive Board Member, July 1, 2008 - Present
- James C. Adkins, Jr. American Inns of Court , Barrister, September 1, 2009 - Present
- Family Law Section, Florida Bar, Member, January 30, 2008 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Office of the State Attorney, Eighth Judicial Circuit, Assistant State Attorney (Misdemeanor Domestic Violence and Traffic Crimes), August 1, 2001 - December 31, 2003
- Office of the State Attorney, Eighth Judicial Circuit, Special Victims Prosecutor (Felony Domestic Violence, Child Abuse, Sexually-Based Offenses), January 1, 2004 - December 26, 2006