For assistance with modifying time sharing arrangements and/or parenting plans, you should seek the advice and expertise of an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Gainesville, FL.
Time Sharing Modification Lawyers
A time-sharing arrangement is a type of parenting plan that allows split, unmarried and/or divorced parents to divide time spent with their child(ren). The time-sharing arrangement is presented in family courts and must be approved by a judge. When parents wish to modify the time sharing arrangement that is in place, they should contact a family divorce lawyer.
Common reasons for modification of time-sharing arrangements may include:
- The presence of a new job
- The need/desire to relocate
- A change in income and expenditures
- Infeasibility of the current/existing time-sharing arrangement
Helpful Divorce Lawyers in Gainesville, FL
When parents decide to split and/or divorce, the lifestyle conditions of the child may change drastically. A divorce lawyer in Gainesville, FL, may be necessary to help you draft a time-sharing plan that is feasible for the child and both parents. Divorce lawyers are also imperative to family cases in which such time-sharing plans must be adjusted to meet the evolving needs and circumstances of the child(ren) involved. At the Law Office of Silverman, Mack & Associates, our experienced divorce lawyers can provide you with the tools, wisdom and representation that you need to allow a modification in your time-sharing plan occur.
Considerations of the Court | Obligations of the Parents
According to Florida Law, the modification of time sharing and/or a parenting plan requires the demonstration of a “substantial, material, and unanticipated change of circumstances.” Further, the best interests of the child must be upheld. Typically, when attempting to determine the best interests of the child, the following factors are considered:
- The ability of both parents to adhere to the demands of the time sharing and/or modification plan.
- The ability of the parents to maintain a close parent-child relationship.
- The ability of the parents to provide the needs of the child.
- The ability of the parents to provide a sense of normalcy and/or stability to the child’s life.
- The feasibility of geographic aspects of the time-sharing plan.
- The legitimacy of third parties (such as family members, caretakers) who may take care of the child when the parents are unable to because of work, traveling, etc.
- The moral fitness, mental and physical health and general well-being of the parents.
- The child’s school record.
- The child’s preference.
- The ability of both parents to provide timely updates on the child to any and all stakeholders, including teachers and medical providers.
- The capacity of the parents to provide a routine-like lifestyle for the child.
- Communicative efforts of the parents.
- Lack of domestic violence, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, physical abuse, and neglect and mistreatment.
- The developmental and cognitive needs of the child.
There are many ways that family courts determine these factors. In most cases however, courts look at past behaviors and the parents’ demonstrated ability to adhere to current time-sharing plans. While it may seem obvious that a modification in a time-sharing plan is necessary because of parents’ inability to follow the existing plan, many courts base their decision on how well parents are able to demonstrate that they can indeed follow the rules. A family attorney can help you establish good rapport with family courts to prevent you from encountering unnecessary problems.
Allow a Family Lawyer to Help You During the Process
Family and divorce lawyers are extremely beneficial to parents who desire to modify a parenting plan and/or time sharing schedule. The reality is that family courts wish to uphold the interests and needs of the child. Often, abrupt changes and lack of routine/structure are perceived by family courts as damaging to the child’s proper growth and development, and general wellbeing. This may make it difficult for your time sharing adjustment request to be approved.
With a lawyer, however, you can trust that your time sharing modification petition will be filed properly and timely with the court, along with compelling evidence to support and justify your reasons for requesting a change in the existing plan. Aggressive, yet empathetic, legal representation can help your time sharing modification request to be viewed positively and approved.
Family Divorce Lawyers in Gainesville, FL
For all of your family and/or divorce issues, you should rely on the Law Office of Silverman, Mack & Associates. Our experienced family and divorce attorneys have prepared and helped modify a variety of parenting plans and time sharing arrangements. We understand family law, divorce law and even child law. We will do everything that we can to not only make your modification in time sharing arrangement request favorable, but we will help you prepare it in such a way that avoids and prevents future changes. Just like you, we want your child to thrive.
Contact us today for a free initial consultation.